Friday, June 27, 2014

Post round of 16 ramblings

Depressed and yet excited if it's possible.
Utterly depressed over my home teams early, flaccid exit and not being able to further participate in the best WC ever.
My predictions are also mixed. Though I've been so wrong I will now consult my newly renamed terrier "Oxlade Chamberlain" nee Rooney for predictions - I did predict Spain's demise and France in the semis.
One thing that fascinates me- How does it seem that collectively, virtually all teams have decided to "go for it" and defence is now a lost art? tiki taka has been overrun by the press and fast break.

On Chewy Luis - Psycho to some - hero to others. I don't get it. The South American value of " By any means necessary as long as you get away with it because I'm just some poor street kid" is baffling. What's next? "The English press doctored this photo of me tazing the center half!"

U.S. - As Oxlaide the terrier will attest my predictions were totally wrong. Klinnsy is either operating on a different plane to us or is the luckiest manger ever. Almost everything he does I disagree with, yet to get out of that group is a miracle.

Best goal - RVP.

I hope the knock out rounds continue to be fab'
I think Chile might shock the world....What's that Oxlaide? I'm talking out of my arse again?

1 comment:

  1. Same here on the predictions...mostly totally off-base. The one trend I did sort of anticipate was the dominance of South America at the expense of Europe. The Americas Cup, anyone? All but Ecuador and Honduras of the Americas made it out of the groups. That's 8 out of 10 teams from that continent! Compare that with Europe's lackluster 6 of 13, Africa's 2 of 5, Asia's 0 of 4. England's capitulation was depressing but USA's ascendency continues. This might be the first World Cup where the USA proved it could not only compete with the best but also play with the best. Portugal was outplayed for large portions of that match. Based on what I saw, the teams that were unlucky not to qualify were Bosnia, Croatia and Ghana. The least deserving? Greece, of course, but they have almost made an art of it.

    ReplyDelete