Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait

Thanks to my brother, Lewis, I finally had the opportunity to view the movie "Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait". (It had been on my Netflix Saved DVDs list for over 3 years, but I digress...) As mainstream entertainment, the movie falls spectacularly short. It illustrates that even watching the greatest player of his generation -- and, arguably, the best ever -- without the context of his teammates and the action around him, and without the significance of the match itself is not riveting movie-making. That is not to say that I did not find it fascinating in other respects. For example, by pointing 17 cameras at one player, even Zizou, the film-makers underscore the oft-quoted observation that a football player spends upwards of 87 of the game's 90 minutes without the ball. That time is spent sprinting without reward, jogging, or merely strolling "le carré vert". The movie -- unlike the ubiquitous YouTube skills compilations -- is almost entirely devoid of Zidane's extravagant skills, save for one flourish that leads to a Real Madrid goal. This point illustrates the nature of the team in the sport: the best individuals can be easily stifled without an able and willing supporting cast. Also, like the movie itself, the soundtrack from Mogwai (a Scottish band, of all things) is hauntingly understated and wonderfully complements the filming. If it was some other sport or even some other player, I'm quite sure I would not have made it through to the end. But I'm really glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment